Re: 89 corvette steering rack

To: strano@stranoparts.com
Subject: Re: 89 corvette steering rack
From: Charles Spitzer <charles_spitzer@stratus.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:14:11
At 04:09 PM 5/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>At 09:08 AM 5/18/99, you wrote:
>
>>The difference in racks is the number of turns for lock-to-lock, so I
>>obviously want to get the correct one.
>
>Well, turn your wheel and see how many it is lock to lock.  I believe all
>Z51's got a 2.0 turn rack, and the softer ones were more like 2.5's.....
>At least the last one I did (an 87 Z51 had a 2.0 rack in it)

i can do that. the problem is a) my rack doesn't have a label, and b) the
stupid gm dealerships can't tell me which of the two is the performance
rack, since they tell me they have the SAME part number. the only external
difference is a 2 character code stamped on a plastic dust shield, which i
DON'T HAVE on my rack.

if gm, in it's infinite wisdom, actually used a different part number for
the different parts for the different suspensions, i wouldn't be having
this trouble!

regards,
charlie
--