Re: ST rules clarification

To: "Lance Schueneman" <lances@wt.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST rules clarification
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 22:48:52 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Lance Schueneman <lances@wt.net>

> Can anyone help me out here? I am currently running ST and building my car
up
> for it. I read the rule book about Underdrive Pulleys and talked to a CSP
competitor
> because ST uses the CSP rule in that case, and they are illegal. Now,
after
> some discussion on a message board, someone else states that there's been
> rule update in SportsCar that says that they are legal. Can someone shed
some
> light on this?

The earlier question refered to accessory pulleys only.  From the SIIR:

14.10 Engine and Drive Train
U.  Any accessory pulleys and belts of the same type (e.g., V-belt,
serpentine) as standard may be used.  This allowance applies to accessory
pulleys only (e.g., alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and
crankshaft drive pulleys).  It does not allow replacement, modification, or
substitution of pulleys, cogs, gears, or belts which are part of cam,
layshaft, or ignition drive or timing systems, etc.  Supercharged cars are
excluded from this allowance.  This does not permit replacement of integral
pulley-dampener/balancer assemblies.

An underdrive pulley on the crankshaft is an illegal modification.

>I think that they should be legal, because it's a fairly easy
> modification that most of the sport compact market has and many people
already
> do have on their car.

Quite true.  The STU rules seem to allow this:

VII. ALLOWED MODIFICATIONS (STU)

1.  The following additional Street Prepared rules are allowed: 14.1.C&E;
14.2.A&B; 14.4, 14.6, 14.9.

2.  Drivetrain and related components (induction, ignition, fuel systems,
etc.) are unrestricted except for the following limitations:
A.  All components must be emissions legal (California Air Resources Board
Certified, etc.), or vehicle         must have a valid state emissions
sticker.
B.   Vehicle must be legally registered for the street.
C.  Must comply with section 3.6.B regarding fuel

Otherwise, write your letter....

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing