Autocross TV Coverage - Anybody Else See This?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Autocross TV Coverage - Anybody Else See This?
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:27:05 -0400
I got quite a surprise this weekend, and I'm looking for a little assistance.

I was chatting with a fellow autocrosser on Friday night, and he told me that he
had seen me on TV. Apparently, some time in Feburary one of the cable networks
ran a two-hour special on different forms of racing competition, and according
to him, I was the focus of the autocross section, about 5 min of airtime.

At first I thought he had mistaken me for someone else, but he provided enough
detail about things he could not have known otherwise (like the color of the
team uniforms that we made specifically for Nationals) that I think he's telling
the truth.

It's possible that this is a practical joke; Lord knows I wouldn't put it past
the gang of troublemakers and miscreants posing as ESP in this region to pull
something like this on the "new guy". (And if it is, it's being very well
executed, the messenger is the perfect straight man, the last guy I'd suspect of
yanking my leg)

If it's a joke, step forward and take a bow guys, you got me good. Hook, line,
and sinker. :)

But on the off chance that it's not a joke and is true....

Here's all the information I have:

- 2 hour special on different forms of racing
- probably filmed at Nationals or Pro Finale (team uniforms didn't exist before
then)
- air date sometime in February (he thought)
- done by a cable channel, but NOT Speedvision. (he doesn't have it - he thought
maybe Discovery Channel or the Learning Channel)
- made specific mention of Buschur Racing (my sponsor) and of my previous drag
race experience (maybe they found me on the web - I mention my drag racing
there)
- I wasn't interviewed, and I don't remember anybody doing any filming with
broadcast-quality cameras aside from the people shooting the Nationals videos
for sale that week. I certainly don't remember anyone specifically filming me.

Does anybody remember this seeing this show, or this segment on it? Does anybody
have any idea how I could track this down?

And the really burning question - if this was filmed at Nationals, with
literally _hundereds_ of other cars and teams running about, why me? I didn't
win anything (in fact, I sucked) Our car was nothing particularly special, there
was nothing about us that I can think of that would distinguish us from the rest
of the crowd. What did we do right?

Anybody have any clue?

DG