Re: Rock-bottom-in-cost?

To: Gemery@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rock-bottom-in-cost?
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:08:57 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/99 5:36:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Gemery@aol.com
writes:

 RacerRay wrote:
   There simply is not being offered the kind of dirt cheap,
rock-bottom-in-cost
   thing that I am willing to get into.

 <<So what is rock-bottom-in-cost?  >>

I have autocrossed a lot in years gone by. I would autocross quite often even
now if I
found events within my close-to-home range that offered the following:

A class for HS cars only on street tires.

That is all I'm looking for, at present, as far as my own individual
autocrossing is
concerned.

We have had a street tire class around here for several years.  It came into
being partly because of my years of preaching against soft compound tires on
stock cars.

I liked the street tire class at first. At least I thought it was better than
running on hard tires against cars on soft tires. Or not running at all.

The way the class is done here -- one big class, all stock and street
prepared cars on street tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or above are
eligible. The PAX index decides the finishing order.

My complaint is that the PAX changes every year based on things that happen
far from here on courses and with cars that are not on hard tires. Cars,
courses and tires that are not reflective of our local situation.

No matter which way the PAX was changing, making it easier or harder for me,
I'd still find it unsatisfactory and un-satisfying as a way to determine who
wins and who doesn't. Kind of throws an extraneous penalty or advantage with
no real connection to the competitors around here who run more-or-less
regularly. Kind of artificial.

I've had the same car for 7 years. It hasn't changed. Some of the regular
street tire folks the same. The PAX factors have changed yearly, moving the
numbers closer to each other. For me it has been rather like having 75 lbs.
added to my car each year.

I have proposed another solution to the problem. To run more than a few times
a year it would require a rule change by about 5 clubs within my range. I
don't have the time off from work to attend meetings of the TSCC, much less
several other outfits scattered over the map.

National rules that made a place for an HS car on street tires would mean
that when I hit the road I would be going to Richmond or N.C. -- or wherever
--  to a class that makes sense to me and is worth the effort. Good
competition, not just running for fun. Low cost too. Not requiring much car
preparation. 3 minutes of running isn't worth a lot of investment or work to
me.

If I am the only one who sees it this way the SCCA and various clubs and
Regions aren't leaving out a significant number of participants. Short of a
national survey of some kind there really isn't a way to be sure of how many
might be in the market for such an autox situation.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I have been advised by a few that if
I don't like the way things are or it isn't fun I should just not do it. A
close reading of one of my posts and a little memory would reveal that I have
already said I am happy to find other things to do on Sunday. I got hooked on
autox years ago. The habit isn't hard to break though. Build it and I will
come. Leave things as-is and my entry fee stays in my pocket.

Happy Motoring
Ray [Loves to Argue] Elliott
CEO&Janitor
Half Fast Race Team