Re: Why smaller pulley?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why smaller pulley?
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:09:26 -0400
>>Why do I need the smaller pulley?  It gave me about a 35-40% increase in
>>boost and I really like it!  Does that mean I should really be in EM.....I
>>don't know.
>
>No offense, but yes, it does.  Your arguments are the typical 'I' class
>desire.

Here's some advice I got.  In stock form, my 320i falls into class A in the
BMW autocross class system.  Individual modifications add points (3 points
for a sway bar, 15 for race tires, etc) and my car was so close to a value
that would bump it to class B that if I so much as breathed on it it would
be there.  They were looking forward to having a little competition in A,
since there is none now.  But then I put the wider tires on, which in itself
bumped me to B.  The advice they gave me was to simply set up the car
however I want it, and not worry about what class I fall into.  It was good
advice.  There are some good drivers in B, and I probably won't win the
class.  But as many of you have said, you learn a lot more when you get
beaten than when you win.  I look at is as not getting bumped to B, but
having 20 points worth of mods I can make left before I have to worry about
jumping to C. :)  The point being, you're the owner and driver of your car -
set it up so that you'll enjoy driving it, and let the class letters fall
where they may.

    - Justin
      '83 BMW 320i HS (soon to be DSP - probably won't be competitive there,
but oh well!)
      Team SOL #4