RE: Required Stickers

To: "The Christianson's" <chrstson@netins.net>
Subject: RE: Required Stickers
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:47:33 -0500 (EST)
> the only people that ever see the decal
> advertising the sport are people that are competing and obviously know
> about the sport.

Actually, it is as much for exposure as happens when your photo is published
somewhere as anything. That is why they are specific about placement

> And because of our insurance we have to discourage people
> from dropping by and watching, and possibly getting interested.

This is a side issue, but no longer true any more. Current guidelines exist
to ENcourage people to drop by and watch, but that in so doing we cover
ourselves by making sure they are on the waiver. Also that we don't present
it as a spectator thing, but as a "come see what we are about" thing -- a
bit of semantic gymnastics the insurance folk allege offers some level of
protection.

But anyway...

the basic stickers-at-nationals thing is a pesky issue, but not insurmountable.
I find it a mild irritant that the official stickers have to be such high-tack
things that want to adhere so tightly I could not make it any more secure than
if I pop-riveted the dang things to the car.

But I don't, heh, heh.

There is alwayws the old trick of waxing the car where the sticker will go.
I carry a bottle of liquid Turtle Wax in my pit gear just for that purpose.
I just wax that little spot where the sticker goes, is all. That is, if I am
actually going to stick the sticker on using its own stickum.

Lately, I don't, heh, heh.

Scotch Plastic Tape. Write down the name. It is great stuff. It comes in a
variety of colors, one of which almost perfectly matches the blue of my car.
I use it to change my numbers, or to attach things that must be attached
temporarily.

Last year, I took my blue Scotch Plastic Tape, cut a couple of 3" strips,
and taped the sticker to the car with one strip of tape at each end. Never
took the backing off the sticker. I even got clever ... the sticker had a black
border which I covered with the tape, so I took my black Magic Marker and
re-drew the border over the tape. From 20 feet away, you'd never know.

In fact, I forgot alll about the stickers, and left them on the car all winter.
Just pulled them off two weeks ago. No problem. That Scotch Plastic Tape comes
off very easily. It is NOT high-tack like the sticker is.

where do you get this marvelous 3M product? Hardware stores. discount stores.
Five & dimes. It comes in 3/4" and 1.5" rolls. I always carry several in both
the blue and yellow of my car.

Oh, and after I pulled the stickers off my car, then I went and stuck one on my
garage wall where I have this collection of Nationals stickers. I don't intend
to remove those anytime soon, so I "save" the sticker's stickum for that.

One other option ... when you are at Nationals, Solotime is there also. Go get
some magnet material from them if you want to do the magnet thing. (assuming
magnets work for you).
\

--Rocky Entriken