Re: Tire History Lesson - Again

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire History Lesson - Again
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua@cybrtyme.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 07:18:03 -0500
It's best not to assume that every destroyed truck tire you see along
the highway is from a recap.  It's my understanding that the primary
cause of catastrophic failure of a dual-mounted tire is underinflation
of its mate.  That is, if you let one of the duals go soft, the one
adjacent to it must carry more load, causing overheating and eventual
failure.  Once one tire goes, the other is even more likely to fail.
This can happen whether the tire is bought new, regrooved, or recapped.

Another note:  Recaps get many more miles (2x?) wear before requiring
replacement, compared with new truck tires.

Chuck (I'm just a truck driver, I don't play one on TV) Schultz

PS:  NASCAR fans _are_ crazy.  I had a great time watching yesterday's
IROC and BUSCH races at Talladega, then spent more time driving the 10
miles home than the total amount of time the two races took to run.
I'll watch at home, next time, thank you!  Better yet, I'll run the VCR
and go autocross, instead!

--
Chuck Schultz/                             Mailto:n2pua@cybrtyme.com
            /      Home page: http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/n2pua