Re: Why DOT? Why not slicks?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why DOT? Why not slicks?
From: jct@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:07:21 -0400

DG writes:
> Well, most Prepared cars are trailered to events; many SP cars
> will be driven to the events; some driven their on their race
> tires.  And most in SP will be on the most competitive rubber -- > not real
safe -- not real legal.
>>>I know - mine is. However, I can't think of a single SP driver _at all_ who
doesn't change tires at the event site (assuming they drove the car there)

You either squish them in the car somehow, or you get someone to bring your
tires for you - or both. Ask Kevin Howell. ;)

So I don't think the "daily driver" argument holds. SP cars are by and large
either trailered or change tires on site. The few oddballs that drive on race
rubber are just that - oddballs - and will always do oddball things.<<<

So Dennis, are you calling all of us oddballs, including Kevin, who sometimes
drive our cars to the site with the race tires on?  You're brand new to the
trailering and SP thing and I think you may be spending too much time sniffing
the CO in the garage.  You'll find many of us enjoy not having to haul the
trailer around when the event is less than 50 miles away, despite the thumping
900 lb springs up front.  I'm glad we run DOT streetable Kumho tires that don't
need several runs to heat up nor put unnecessarily higher loads on the frame and
suspension, slicks are different!  Yeah, the rules are such that the car's can
be stretched to marginal streetability sometimes but they are usually still
street legal.  Maybe we should all be running $4/gallon racing fuel as well and
really stir up the debate?  But I think that's why the SCCA invented classes
like CP.

John....