Tire wear issues

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tire wear issues
From: John Whitling <alliancemillsoft@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:07:59 -0400
Well it didn't take too long for people to start complaining of tire
wear with the new G Force tire. It only makes sense that left
unregulated tire wear will continue to get worse, depending on how
serious Kumho and Hoosier are about the "racing street tire" market. In
general, softer tires go faster and wear faster.

It wasn't long ago that the hot tire for autox wasn't good for much more
than a weekend Pro. And a two driver car would overheat the tires on
even seventy degree days. It wasn't long ago a that a single tire
company chased all other tire companies out of autox because they took
race tires to a level that no other company was willing to go. Then,
eventually, tires got harder again so they could use a single tire for
autox and club racing.

Collectively you (we) have a choice ... pay more money for more tires
and deal with all the associated hassles OR push for for a simple easy
"Z" speed rating requirement for all race tires. You'll all, in your
infinite wisdom, tell me that for some magic reason tires cannot be
regulated. They are too complex for that ... black magic, if you will.
Well BS ... find the problem with a simple speed rating. Speed ratings
would not be cheated by tire companies. Nothing could be easier to
enforce.

And an even better idea ... If the SCCA had their act together, they
could create consistent tire rules for club racing and solo alike. Tire
companies would have only one set of rules to work to for all of SCCA.
Dare I say that the tires would be safer and that the tire companies
would be able to use racing as a mean of developing new technologies for
their street tire lines. More tire companies would use racing as a
development tool and there would be more choices available.

So again ... why won't this work?

How could it make anything worse?

I don't see the downside. There's lots of upside.

John Whitling