Texas National Tour and a big THANK YOU!

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Texas National Tour and a big THANK YOU!
From: Mike McClure <mikemc@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:05:52 -0500
First I just have to say, WOW, what a great event!  If you didn't make
it to this event you will definately want to put it on your calenders
for next year (if that works out).  Things seemed to go very smoothly
considering there were around 270 competitors.  The courses were some of
the best I have ever seen and the competition was fierce.  The party in
the garage area of the Speedway was great, especially since we could see
and hear the stock cars most of the night!

But, the thing that really made the event for me was the hospitality of
a few competitors in my class (super stock).  Let me explain:

As I was leaving impound after the first days runs I noticed a new noise
coming from my '86 Vette.  I drove to my spot in the paddock, popped the
hood, revved the motor and came to the realization that what I was
hearing was undoubtedly a rod knocking.  I couldn't believe it!  It
looked like my weekend was over.  I was pretty upset seeing as how I had
managed to be in 2nd place for the first day.

The good news is that my fellow competitiors were very sympathetic with
my situation and I was offered a ride by a gracious competitor that I
had just briefly met the day before.  Bob and Bev Landdeck wholehearedly
offered to let me use their RX-7 to complete the event.  I was extremely
grateful, especially since Bob was just over a tenth of a second behind
me after the first day.

This kind of gesture is exactly what makes Solo 2 so much fun.  The
Landdeck's hospitality allowed me to not only complete the event, but to
hold on to my 2nd place spot which netted me my first trophy at a
National event!

Bob and Bev, if I can ever help you in any way, please let me know.  I
look forward to competing with you and all of the others that ran SS
this past weekend in the future.  I had a truely great time, despite my
misfortune.

Mike McClure
'86 Vette SS 71
Houston, TX

P.S. Congratulations to Erik on his HUGE win in SS!  If he continues to
perform at this level, he will be absolutely untouchable!!