Kumhos developed an extra groove?

To: AutoX <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kumhos developed an extra groove?
From: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:55:26 -0500
        After the McKamey school on Saturday, I was looking at my front
tires (Kumho's) on my MR2 and noticed that there was a very fine extra
groove running the full cirumference of the tire, right down the middle. It
looked almost as if someone would have taken a razor blade and carefully cut
a groove around the tire. The groove is no wider than a razor blades width
and both front tires have it. In some spots, just rubbing the tire with my
finger causes the groove to disappear. In some spots it seems deeper.
         I was running 30 PSI in them. The car runs with about -3 degrees
camber and 1/8" toe-out front, -2 degrees camber and 1/16" toe-in rear. The
tires had about 20 runs on them before this weekend and had looked just fine
when I put them on.
        Anyone seen this before or have any ideas? Are the tires trashed?

John Moore
1993 MR2 NA