Re: Neons

Subject: Re: Neons
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:56:11 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Justin Hughes wrote:
> Oh, I know I'm going to get totally crushed by the many Neon drivers on here
> for that comment. :)  So now that I've insulted everyone, how do you find
> the Neon holds up, quality wise?  The main reason it's not currently on my
> list of potential Tracer replacements is the relatively poor quality that
> tends to come out of Chrysler.  The old BMW is enough work to keep going - I
> want a good, practical daily driver with handling that won't disappoint me
> after an autocross in the BMW (the way the Tracer does).

My car has held up pretty well, but its a '98, so I wouldn't expect any
problems.

I've wrecked three front motor mounts.  Two of those were autox induced,
but one was street only.  Its a weak point on the car.  Mopar makes a
high-perf mount, but its not stock legal.

I've gotten a bit of a buzz in the dash from a trim piece around the
headlight switch being a touch loose.  One of these days it'll bug me
enough to fix.

Other than that, the car has been perfect.  Other than the motor mounts,
its stood up to autox very well.  I also haven't heard of any weak points
other than the motormount via internet stuff as well.  There's also a
pretty good aftermarket for neon's now.

For the price, you can't beat a neon for a new autox car.  You also can't
beat it at most any price for combined autox/daily driver use.

MHO obviously.

Mark