Re: inside edge tire wear?

To: autocross list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: inside edge tire wear?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Eric Linnhoff wrote:
> Why is the inside edge of my front tires wearing much more than the outside
> edges on my Neon?
>
> Here's the lowdown on the setup.  Toyo RA1 225/50-14's up front on 14x6"
> AR24s at 38-39 psi.  1.8 degrees negative camber and about 3/16" total toe
> out.
>
> I figured that as badly as I overdrive the corners and push all the way
> through them that the outside edges would be wearing out first.
>
> Am I just spinning the inside tires so much coming out of the corners that
> I'm wearing them down first?

Yes.  Or "In my experience, yes." I've been told by a couple people that
the fast neon drivers destroy the inside of their front tires, but I
haven't seen it myself.  What I have seen is fairly severe wear on the
inside front tires when I've just held the go pedal to the floor and let
the tire spin.  I try not to do that as much now... :-)

Mark