Re: Cool Web Site - Oil Filter Comparison

To: eric10mm@qni.com
Subject: Re: Cool Web Site - Oil Filter Comparison
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 12:36:02 CST
Eric Linhoff asks:

> Can I put basically any size oil filter on my Neon, or any other car for
> that matter?
>
> Slightly larger capacity and/or cooling and/or filtering surfaces being
> the sought after features.  And would this be Stock Class legal?
> Probably not but thought I'd ask anyway.

The Stock rules allow any filter that mounts up to the existing hardware.
As a FYI, neons used to use a larger filter, I believe Fram PH16-size, then
Mopar decided there was a collision risk with the bottom of the filter
hanging too low, so now they spec the smaller Fram PH3614-sized filter.
I'm using Fram numbers because I have them memorized, not because I
recommend them.

Take your chances with whatever you like.  I use the smaller filter because
I'm too lazy/don't care/haven't got around to figuring out the biggest thing
that'll fit.  It is true that a larger filter would be better for lower
backpressure, better cooling, and higher contaminant capacity.  Enough to
matter?  Who knows?  Does a filter ever clog before you change it?  I
rather doubt it, since auto manufacturers commonly spec a light-duty service
interval of 7500 miles for oil changes.  That's my interval for synthetic
oil changes.  If you're my mother, on the other hand, who I'm ashamed to
admit trades her car in more often than she gets an oil change, well...
probably nothing that would fit is gonna be big enough to help.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS