Re: Solo Vee - SEB

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solo Vee - SEB
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:36:00 -0500
Autovee@aol.com wrote:
> First let me state the things that we have considered and do not want
> to recommend to the SEB:
>
> 1.  We do not want to move to another class such as D Modified.  We
> expect to stay in F Modified for the near term.
>
> 2. We do not want to recommend any changes in the F440/500 to achieve
> parity in F Modified.  ...
>
> 3. We do not want to make major performance modifications to the Solo
> Vee in order to attempt to achieve parity with the F440/500 in F
> Modified.  We think that the Solo Vee should remain an inexpensive
> modified solo car.  Also the constraints and limitations of the Solo
> Vee design make it impractical to attempt to match the performance of
> the F440/500.  In general, our performance in F Modified is therefore
> not expected to be on a par with the f440/500.  The present Solo Vee
> specifications are very close to ideal with regard to cost and
> performance.

Wow.  This one sure hits me right out of the blue.  To hear the Solo Vee
guys get together and admit that the car can never be nationally
competitive and surrender the whole parity thing is quite an about face,
from my point of view.

After hearing this, my gut reaction is to write a letter suggesting that
the F500 be moved back into CM (dragging the F440 kicking and screaming
along with it), and that the Solo Vee be moved to an appendix in the
back of the book as a suggested class for regional competition.

> The original choice of these heads is viewed as a serious mistake in
> the current rules.

I'm biting my tongue.

Mark