Re: Oil Filter Relocation in Stock Categories???

To: bimrboy@post1.fast.net
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Relocation in Stock Categories???
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:16:07 CST
Robert Szypicyn writes:

>       In recently acquiring about 10 lacarations from performing an oil
> change on my 94 Miata, I got to thinking about a possible oil filter
> relocation. I found a few kits and all the associated yadda, but then I
> referred to my handy-dandy 1999 rulebook to find this as the only mention...
<snip>
> using a minimum amount of hardware and connecting lines.

Its not explicitly allowed, but as long as it didn't produce a performance
advantage (for example, better oiling under accelerations, or oil cooling),
then you might call it a comfort and convenience thing.

This is a very grey area, but lets face it, you'd be straining your
credibility if you tried to claim you lost a place to someone because they
had relocated their oil filter.

I sympathize, my wife's Splaturn has the filter way up in a cave where you
can't even see the mounting plate, right above the CV joint boot that the
owner's manual says you MUST NOT spill any oil on.  Whats up with that?
When you do spill the oil, it runs along the frame halfway to the back of
the car, dripping off at all points in between.  After you're done cleaning
up, you get to play "pin the tail on the donkey" when you try installing the
new filter.  But at least there's no bloodshed.  Makes me love the Galant,
whose entertainment value comes from the fact that the drain plug is on the
side of the pan, so you get to guess the trajectory of the jet of dirty oil.
If you guess wrong, you miss the drain pan.  I don't play computer games
any more, they leave me cold after the challenges of auto maintenance. :^P

I'll assume that you aren't content to let Jeff E. Lube solve your problem?
;^)   I know, I don't go there any more, either, but I'm not too proud or
too poor to let the pros do the cursing for me when I get that feeling of
dread.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                          Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                               ITDS - TRIS