Re: wheel stud fatigue

To: Jan Schmidt <jschmidt@kumc.edu>, SlyFoxRc@aol.com, AUTOX@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: wheel stud fatigue
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 05:59:48 -0800 (PST)
It's true that lugs have a finite life cycle, but I
would guess legal worries would make them among the
most overengineered parts on a car.  One of these days
I'll check the specifications on a few to confirm that.
 Anti-seize helps to extend their life because you can
use slightly lower torque for a given clamping force.
(example:  Miata spec is 65-83 lb-ft, I use 60-65 with
anti-seize)  Scary as it sounds, motor oil can also be
used, though it's too messy for me!

It is possible to use too much torque, stretching the
lug to yield, and I wonder how many wheel launching
incidents can be traced to this.  Too little torque is
also bad because it imposes fluctuating loads on the
lug and fatigues it _really_ fast.

BTW Jan you will not see it when the lugs wear out.
The only way to detect that is to torque it and measure
the stretch with a ruler.  That, or when it goes
BANG...

Craig Blome, wondering if he can sneak ARP wheel studs
through impound :)
Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX
Do You Yahoo!?