RE: Autocross speed and safety

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Autocross speed and safety
From: "Racer---X" <Racer---X@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:15:24 -0500
Mark, I was present at both the "pole slapper" and BMW rollover incidents
Ben Thatcher mentions (though the Bimmer was a 318Ti, as in newer hatchback
version, but it's a moot point). Both incidents were unrelated to the
course. The BMW was pure and simple driver error, and the Miata accident was
just an accident, plain and simple. The course was winding away from the
poles, and somehow the car spun in the wrong direction. Keep in mind that
this is also one of the best Miata drivers in the country. Accidents can and
do happen, no matter what the safety precautions are.

        Michael Karp

Mark Andy Wrote:
<Well, I didn't see any of the indicents you're talking about, but from
what you've described I would certainly call the 1st course (curb jumper)
unsafe and maybe the second (pole collector).

I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a wus and whiner or whatever, but bottom line
I don't think it should be possible to hit something if you make a
mistake in an autox.  Now, if I make a mistake, don't bail out and try to
save it and then smack something, its my fault.  If I make a mistake,
spin, and hit something, that's the course designer's fault.

I don't care much about speed and agree with what a few folks have written
regarding safe high speed courses.  Bottom line, in my mind, is that a
course isn't safe unless a driver can make a mistake (while on line) and
slide or spin to a halt without hitting something.  That isn't the only
factor, but its a pretty major one.  A driver should have to make at
least two mistakes (start to spin and try to save it when they should give
it up, etc.) to hit something.  If your lot doesn't allow that, then find
a different lot.

Totally MHO I realize.>