Brake bleeding update

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake bleeding update
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:18:58 CST
Well, I have almost bled my brakes.  But I couldn't wait to tell you all that
I got the Eezibleed pressure bleeder and settled on a brake fluid.

The fluid I bought is Valvoline SynPower Synthetic.  It is DOT 4, compatible
with all DOT 3 and 4 brake systems, and has dry boiling point of 513 F and
wet boiling point of 333 F.  It is $5/quart, which is roughly the same as
Castrol LMA.  But it beats LMA's wet boiling point of 311 F, which is better
than any other DOT 3.  I found it at Parts America and Wal Mart, so it
is widely available.  I thought you all would like to know since it hasn't
been on the market for more than a few years, and I don't think anyone
mentioned it in the previous posts.

I almost bought the Motul 600 from Porterfield at $8.95/0.5l, and if I have
any problems with the '87 Galant (I don't know if its pads or fluid, but
brake fade has always been a big problem with this car) I may still get
some Motul.  But I'll be trying better-than-OEM pads first.

On the unanimous recommendation of those who've used both, I went with
the Eezibleed over the Mityvac.

I had to get the universal cap for the Eezibleed, we'll see how it works
on the Saturn and neon.  For the Galant, I had to buy a OEM cap and I'm
getting ready to drill a hole in it so it'll accept the fitting.  Wish me
luck, I'm almost there!
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                          Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                               ITDS - TRIS