Re: Project car ideas?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Project car ideas?
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:29:25 -0500
>You picked the right candidates - the rx7 would be my suggestion, for great
>parts availability, and good old fashioned tail out driving fun :)

Clay, in your original post you mentioned that you'd like to do Solo I and
an occasional road race.  Someone else on the list probably knows more than
me (what else is new? :) ) but if I remember right, there's a special SCCA
road racing class comprised entirely of identical or nearly identical spec
first generation RX7s.  The low cost of cars and parts is probably one big
reason for using that particular car.  It's also something to consider
getting into eventually.  For now you can snag a cheap RX7, start upgrading
it and run Solo II in it.  Later on you'll meet Solo I specs, and when
you're done you'll have yourself a fully prepped race car for this
particular series.  I just wish I could remember more about it - can anyone
else help?

As for me, well, I picked up an '83 BMW 320i for $1000 last fall.  I like it
because I'm a BMW nut, it was cheap, and it's fun to work on and fix up.
I'll be competing in the local BMWCCA autocross series, and may migrate to
SCCA Solo II.  I'm sure there are many better cars for HS, and most upgrade
parts for the 3-series are for the E30 chassis, '84 models and later.  There
ain't much around for the E21s like mine in comparison (though more than
you'll find for a Ford Escort - that's why my Tracer remains my commuting
car).  If I was getting a car specifically for serious Solo II competition,
I probably would not have gone for the 320i.  But for tinkering, driving,
and the local series, it's just what I need.  It can still kick the back out
if I want it to.  Call it "training wheels." :)

    - Justin