Re: SP rules and ESP Clarification

To: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Subject: Re: SP rules and ESP Clarification
From: steve.cirian@us.pwcglobal.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:11:55 -0600
Sam,

Thanks for your reply.  I did not mean to single your comment out, but it
just fit with what I was thinking at the time.  So sorry if I offended
anyone.

>Downpipes etc. can add boost to and engine.  That is BOOST, not unforced
>air.  That is something that no normally aspirated car can do.  Changing a
>chip can add chip in some cars does add boost and change curves etc.  Not
>so in a NA car.
>These things help turbos much more than a "normal" car.  And in the case
of

Removing the restriction from the exhaust system does not "actively" add
boost.  It removes backpressure.  As a result of that, the power increases.
Most (all?)  cars benefit from reduced backpressure, not just turbos.  Now,
turbos may benefit MORE from it than NA cars.  As with any rule, some cars
will benefit more than others - that can't be helped.

Boost in the RX-7TT (I am somewhat familiar with how mine works) is
controlled by the computer and various valves in the vacuum system.  The
car can only make so much boost (10 lbs on the RX-7) if the control system
is operating correctly.  The problem with opening up the exhaust is that
the control system can no longer "keep up".  So the boost builds beyond
what the control system can handle.  Opening up the exhaust therefore may
incidentally increase power, but what it really does is expose a weak link
in the engine.  This is a serious problem in the RX-7, since the engine is
not made to handle the increased level of boost.  Broken apex seals result.
The rules currently do not allow us to correct this problem the proper way
(fix the control system to keep the boost down to the proper level).
Restricting the exhaust seems to be a step backwards.

The NA cars, with the increased flow of an unrestricted exhaust, will get
an increase in power.  I am assuming that their computers will up the flow
of gas to keep the AF ratio about the same as it was before the exhaust was
opened up.  The turbo cars will do the same thing.  Their computers will
NOT increase boost (at least on the RX-7).

Changing the computer program to ADD boost is a different situation.  It is
an active change to a component that has no direct equivalent in NA cars.
This should not be allowed.

>Yeah, okay.  Whatever.  The Normally aspirated cars that rolled out the
>factory, that make up probably 90% of all competitors, that were around
>long before a few turbo's are the ones NOT suited to autoxing.
Suuuuurrre.

It seems to me that cars shouldn't be re-classified based on their lack of
popularity (90% of people are not driving them), but should be based on the
index.  If a car is running times that indicate that it should be moved up
a class, do it.  (I have not kept up on the Supra issue, but it sounds like
it may be running out of its class.)  If a car is running times that
indicate that it should be moved down a class, do it.  Use the index, not a
vote of popularity.  If all cars are classed correctly, and a car is still
not competitive, then drive it because you like it, or else switch to the
car that is winning that class.

If the practice of restricting certain cars gets taken to its logical
conclusion, then eventually each car will have its own set of rules.  This
would get far too complicated.  Let's just stick to rules that apply
equally, and keep it consistent between all cars in a class.

Cheers,

Steve Cirian                       http://www.ScuderiaCiriani.com/rx7
                                                  Chicago Region SCCA
'95 RX-7 TT                                             Tri State SCC
#95 A Street Prepared                                        rx-7.net

computer.