Re: relative surface stickyness

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: relative surface stickyness
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:23:44 -0700
Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> Howdy all.  Another newie-type question.
>
> Is there any particular generally accepted order of stickyness and
> adhesion to the various surfaces that we race on?
>
> Concrete, sealed concrete, asphalt, sealed asphalt, etc.

>From stickier to less sticker according to the above listing. Of course,
this will vary from location to location. There are concrete surfaces
that are as abrasive as a belt sander and can consume a tire in one day.
Yet provide less grip than your average parking lot. Other surfaces can
be stickier than glue, and don't wear the tires badly either. But as a
general rule of thumb, the stickier the surface (concrete to asphalt)
the more wear a tire gets.

> Yesterday I ran on what I think was sealed asphalt at the Boeing Sports
> Car Clubs primary site and the car just pushed, everywhere.  I know it
> was cold and tires generally don't like the cold but there were a few
> points where there was just absolutely NO stick.

Sealed asphalt, slicker 'n owl snot. The reason why you were pushing so
badly was you were entering the corner too hot for the amount of grip
that you had available.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/