The Cost of A-X (long)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: The Cost of A-X (long)
From: bluemr2@juno.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:25:47 -0500
>Snipping the balance of an excellent post.  The last Detroit
>Region meeting program was "getting started in ....."  The re was
>general agreement that the cheapest form of autosport (at least
>as is available within SCCA) is Road Rally.  They never mentioned
>Dramamine on the list of required equipment, though.

        Hmmm,  Road Rally (at least the one I went to in the Detroit Region)
looks to be MORE expensive than auto-x.  There's less equip. to buy to be
competitve, BUT repairing the car after every event looks to get
expensive fast.  (Luckily, we got away from it only needing a <$70
alternator belt replacement)  The "old" one was about 9 months old.
Plus, gotta wash the car a lot more often ;-)
        Seriously though, with the abuse the car took, shocks/struts are going
to go a LOT faster.  Need another set of wheels as 16" alloys don't cut
it (14" steel wheels are the way to go, surprised we didn't wreck the
alloys that time out).  Bottomed out the car a couple times (that can't
be good)...  And consider that road rally events puts a lot more miles on
the car.  And it would have been REALLY expensive if we hadn't seen that
"herd" of deer in time...

Brian