RE: older cars in stock

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: older cars in stock
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:17:10 -0600
I think I may have had a hand in starting this ball rolling, so I'll throw in
one last word, just to see what the hard core SCCA guys think.

I generally autocross with the Madison Sports Car Club under Midwest Council of
Sports Car Club rules.  Under these rules, cars are classed somewhat similarly
to SCCA, trying to group cars of similar potential.  That's where the
similarity ends.  There is a point assessment for every modification from
stock, even including "R" tires.  The points total is what puts your car in
Stock, Prepared, Modified or Race.

For those of us who want to drive our cars daily it gives plenty of leeway.  I
can do virtually anything I want to my car and never worry that one that's not
allowed in my category will bump me up.  Obviously the total points might, but
I can choose between bigger wheels or stiffer springs, or a supercharger, or
sub frame connectors, etc.

For the serious competitors (yes we have some), they have to put a lot of
thought into how to "spend" their points, to build the fastest car for their
chosen category.

This system also allows matches to made (hopefully) more even within a class by
assessing points to some cars when stock.  For instance my 96 Cobra, in A-Stock
competes with F-bodies and lesser Mustangs, but is assessed 2 points just for
being a Cobra.

I like this system, maybe because I "grew up" with it.  I'm looking forward to
some reasoned responses as to what's wrong with it, and what's right with  the
SCCA system.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra, Mystic #1345/2000 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (mostly modified)
'59 Triumph Model 10 Sedan (mostly in boxes)