Re: Cars and quality (Neons, etc.)

To: "Tom Gentry" <tgentry@execpc.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cars and quality (Neons, etc.)
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:45:04 -0600
>Please do not confuse NVH and quality.  Given a higher price point it is
very easy to build a car with better NVH, this does not necessarily raise
the durability.  Yes, less expensive cars will invariable offer more noise
and vibration than significantly more expensive cars.  Vibration, rattles,
squeaks, engine and road noise, lack of sound deadening materials, etc. DO
NOT mean a car is less durable or poorly engineered.
===========================
Good points Tom. If I wanted to drive a "numb" soundless and feedback-less
car I'd buy an Accord, Camry, Monte Carlo or Taurus.

I prefer a car that gives me some feedback to my inputs.  Be it the exhaust
note, intake "honk", suspension creaks, pops or groans, stiff (non-power
feel) steering wheel, "gated" feeling shifter, heavy clutch pedal, firm
seats, road holding ability, etc.

And it has to be fun to drive and slightly out of the ordinary.  And before
you jump back and say "but it's just another Neon", remember that it's MY
Neon and I've "built" it to my tastes complete with large stripes to
separate it from the more common variety of Neons known simply as chryslerus
grocerygetterus.

Oh yes, it also has to be in my price range. I'm not gonna lease a car that
I couldn't afford to buy and with the wicked things that I do to cars I'd
probably void every clause of a lease agreement.  ;^)

Word to the wise, don't buy rental cars that came from around the KC area.
;^)

So, I chose my Neon R/T over the Saturns, ZX-2s, Civics, Proteges and
Cavaliers of the world.  Had I waited another month and used the knowledge
gained in that month I'd have purchased the ACR right next to it on the lot.
But in hindsight, for the limited amount of hardcore racing that I'm going
to do I'll accept the challenge of fighting off all the DS ACR sharks with
my R/T man-o-war.  "Careful kids, it's cute but I hear that it has a mean
sting."   ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

You jump in front of my car  When you know all the time
That 90 miles an hour  Girl  Is the speed I drive
You tell me it's all right  You don't mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a drive
"Crosstown Traffic"  as recorded by Jimi Hendrix