Ford Miata?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ford Miata?
From: Steve Couture <stevecouture@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:09:32 -0800 (PST)
I was just reading the April 99 (oops 1999, must by Y2K compilant!)
issue of PC World.  In the Up Front column on page 19, Phil Lemmons
(editorial director of PC World) writes:

"The iMac and G3 are in some ways like the Mazda Miata.  The Miata
shares inner components with a much less successful Ford model, but a
designer exterior made the Miata a sensation.  Few can name the Ford
equivalent."

He then goes on to discuss the similarities between the new Apple
iMac/G3 and a standard PC from an internal architecture perspective.

But this car analogy has me stumped.  I thought the Miata was a unique
Mazda creation.  What Ford model is this guy talking about?  Is there
a Ford model that shares significant componentry with the Miata?  Is
this guy thinking about the Mazda Mx-6 / Ford Probe relationship and
just got the model wrong?  (If that's the case I certainly wouldn't
call the Mx-6 a "sensation". :)  Or is he thinking that the Capri and
Miata are somehow related?  Are they?  (I thought the Capri was front
wheel drive.)

Or am I correct in thinking that the writer here really doesn't know
much about cars and is just using an analogy to add color to his
geek-speak and since computer nerds aren't supposed to know anything
about cars we won't catch on that he completely made this up?

--
Steve Couture (rhymes with future)
Techno-geek and Neon driver (is that redundant?)