MR-2 stops running at 5500 rpm???

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: MR-2 stops running at 5500 rpm???
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:41:18 EST
Well, our C/Stock MR-2 pulled a new one today.  At 5500 rpm, it suddenly goes
flat and sounds very sour, not the "bump-bump-bump" of the rev limiter, but
sort of the same effect as far as acceleration - IT STOPS HAPPENING!  And
before you say "Yeah, MR-2s run out of power at about 5500..."  it's much more
dramatic than just the normal running out of power.  We've seen that before,
it's really unhappy.  Plugs look fine, maybe a bit lean, no "Check Engine"
light, or codes stored in the computer, and we've picked up a bit of
detonation at part throttle acceleration at the same time.

Any ideas???

CHD