Braking technique

To: autox@f-body.org
Subject: Braking technique
From: richj50@bit-net.com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:14:14 -0500 (EST)
Assuming that you are driving an ABS equipped car on course in a straight
line at 50mph or so approaching a very tight hairpin, what is the best
braking technique to slow the car down before entering the corner: (1) Hit
the brake pedal as hard as you can thereby engaging the ABS and causing
your tires to emit little puffs of smoke as they skid 1 foot at a time
between ABS pulses, or (2) Brake only as hard as you think you can without
locking up the wheels/engaging the ABS?  I am not talking about braking in
a corner. I'm just wondering whether you lose time by doing #1 by
suffering the disadvantage of sliding friction over static friction, not
to mention maybe overheating/flatspotting your tires.  Which is the
fastest way to get the car slowed down in a straight line?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich Johnston
95 Z28 ESP