Re: That 1,000 number again...

To: washburn@dwave.net
Subject: Re: That 1,000 number again...
From: Cliff Loh <vcmc001@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 15:35:06 -0800
washburn wrote:

> I personally think that the Canada models would not count toward the
> 1000 minimum according to my interpretation of the rule as written.  My
> point was that this rule could be picked apart by armchair lawyers, and
> that maybe it is best just to request that the SEB class the car.

I'm of the same opinion.  The "1,000 rule" in the context of the rules
as written most likely applies to U.S. only.

> There are more differences in California models
> than Canadian models in a lot of cases.  Since your our freindly
> nieghbor and all, and haven't tried to start any wars with us or
> anything, I just don't what the deal is either.

For the most part, especially with newer model cars, there's very
little difference between the mechanical components.  The major
differences lie in the trim levels and color availability.  All
Camaro's are built in Canada as well as all North American market
Civics.  There are, however, a couple of cars that come to mind with
real differences-

US Spec vs Canadian spec E36 M3's: The Canadian versions I think may
have different gearing and possibly more power.

Volvo 850 T5R (and the S70 T5)- Canadian versions are available w/
manual transmissions I believe.

The Acura 1.6 EL (the What?)-  This is a Canada only market car.
Basically a 4dr Civic with luxury goodies packed into it and a 1.6L
DOHC VTEC in it.  It's Honda's answer to the Infiniti G20 and BMW
318is and it's selling like hotcakes.

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing