Re: Buying a Neon

To: Autocross List <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Buying a Neon
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:41:04 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Tom Shirley wrote:
> There are Sport and R/T models available. Which of these two should he
> pursue as a good autocross car? What performance options should he order or
> try to find? In other words, should he buy a R/T or order the Sport with 4
> wheel discs. Is there a trade off in weight by buying the R/T? The car has
> to serve as a daily driver too, so the ACR is out. We'd appreciate a rundown
> on the best set up.

I went through this exact thing last year.  I bought a SOHC (sedan) ACR.
It had air and a radio, which was pretty much all I need for the street.
I could add cruise control (factory) for $200 or so.

If I had to do it all again, I'd get the DOHC I think (turned out autox
became more important), but I still think the SOHC is better for the
street.

I'm curious why the ACR is out.  An ACR is the same price at the R/T, and
trades better suspension (and don't read that as 'bone-jarring'.  The
Konis on softer settings are truely street worthy), for things like
automatic windows & locks.  They have the same interior, etc.

For autox, you get 6" wheels, adjustable Koni's and adjustable camber,
and more of spec class in DS than you do in ES.  If you're gonna buy a
neon other than an acr and you're at all serious about Autox, make sure
you get a non-ACR SOHC, so that at least you don't have to compete in DS.

Anyway, I'd recommend a 'street' DOHC ACR with air & radio.

Mark