1999 Convention - #3

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1999 Convention - #3
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:31:53 -0500 (EST)
This is the third in a series of my notes from the Convention.

** Disclaimer Alert **
Please understand these are the things I thought were important (or were
able to jot down as the conversation progressed) and these are just MY
opinion. Additional comments are included in brackets [].

If you wish to excerpt from them, you may. Please give proper credit and I
request a copy of your publication which contains the information. Reply
via private e-mail and I'll send my snail mail address. Thanks!
** End of Disclaimer ** <g>

Club Racing Luncheon (Friday Noon)

This probably my favorite event of the convention, although the Saturday
night Awards Banquet runs a very close second. The Club Racing Luncheon
recognizes individuals and regions who work hard to make our club an
enjoyable and fun event!

Doug Reed thanked the following sponsors: Valvoline, Napa Auto Partks,
Toyota and Toyota Racing Development, Yokohama, BFGoodrich, Mazda, and the
54 companies who participated in the contingency awards at the RunOffs(R).

Dennis Dean recognized the outgoing Executive Stewards:
  Northern Pacific - Dick Templeton (1994-1998)
  Northeast - Terry Hanushek (1995-1998)

Fred Slick presented the Regional Achievement Awards:
Small (0-100 mbrs): 3 submissions
  Winner: Chattanooga
Medium (101-199 mbrs): no timely submissions
  No winner :(
Medium-Large (200-650 mbrs):
  Winner: Northwest Ohio Region (membership includes 78 SpeedFreakz)
Large (651-2499 mbrs):
  Winner: Northwest Region
Jumbo (2500+ mbrs):
  Winner: New England Region (overall membership increase 4.3%, 200%
increase in SpeedFreakz)

Joe Hume presented the Val D. Scroggie Award. This award is presented
annually to the SCCA race physician who has made the greatest contribution
to racing during the preceeding year. Not awarded every year.
  Winner: Don Mills, Ohio Valley Region

Fred Slick came back up to present the Regional Publication Awards.
Small (0-100 mbrs): 24 submissions of the 37 regions in the class.
  3rd - Chattanooga Region's "Downshift"
  2nd - Gulf Coast Region
  1st - Misery Bay Region's "Pit Signal"

Medium (100-200 mbrs): 16 submissions of the 18 regions in the class.
  3rd - Ft. Wayne Region's "Four Wheel Drift"
  2nd - Utah Region
  1st - Alabama Region's "Car Sport"
        [W2W'er Stacey Grammer's husband Ken was/is the editor]

Medium Large (201-650 mbrs): only 18 points separated 1st and 3rd.
  3rd - Finger Lakes Region's "Top End"
  2nd - Indianapolis Region
  1st - Kansas City Region's "Checkpoint"

Large (650-2,500 mbrs): only 73 points separated 1st and 3rd.
  3rd - Chicago Region
  2nd - Northwest Region's "Loud Pedal"
        [W2W'er Tim Dutton is the editor.]
  1st - Ohio Valley Region's "Observers Stand"
[In this grouping, 1st and 2nd are reversed from last year's finishing
position.]

Jumbo (2,501 +): only 79 points separated 1st and 3rd.
  3rd - Cal Club "California Sports Car News"
  2nd - Central Florida Region "The Checker"
  1st - New England Region "Pit Talk"

Phil Creighton (chair of the Comp Board) presented the John McGill Award.
This award was donated by the Mahoning Valley Region in recognition of John
McGill and first presented in 1975. Presented for significant contribution
to the Club Racing program during the season. The winner is chosen by the
Competition Board and the Vice President of Club Racing.
  Winner: Peter Quenet, Detroit Region

Unfortunately, both the Scroggie and McGill award winners were not on hand
to accept their awards and recognition.

Rally/Solo Luncheon (Saturday noon)

By now, my notes are getting shorter and further between ... I've given up
all pretense of only being interested in the convention as the beautiful
San Diego sunshine beckons <vbg> not to mention the glorious blue (but
chilly) waters of Mission Bay. I apologize, as I didn't keep these in
order. Most all the information is here, but the Convention "book" was in
different order than the awards were presented. Thanks go to the "book" for
descriptions of awards.

Doug Reed opened the presentations by saying thank you to the various
sponsors who supported the Rally and Solo programs.

National Pro Rally of the Year:
 Winner: Lake Superior PRO Rally, Lake Superior Region

I don't believe there were awards given for Divisional PRO Rallys this
year.

On to Road Rally Awards --

Arthur J. Gervais Award: This award is presented annually in recognition of
the outstanding National Course Rally. Selection is made by a vote of the
top 20 competitors in each class of the National Course Rally Championship
(NCRC) Series from all SCCA-sanctioned NCR's for the year.

Outstanding National Touring Rally of the Year Award: This award is
presented annually in recognition of the outstanding National Tour Rally.
Selection is made by a vote of the top 20 competitors in each class of the
National Tour Rally Championship (NTRC) Series from all SCCA-sanctioned
NTR's for the year.

For the first time, these two awards were presented to the same individual,
Earl Hutson. Sadly, they were presented post-humously as Earl passed away
in October. [Hopefully someone from the Rally community can give me the
names of the events, as I missed them during the presentation.]

Divisional Achievement Award:
  Winner: Northeast Division

Regional Achievement Award:
  Winner: Oregon Region

Novice Team Award: Initiated in 1994, this award is presented to the team,
which shows the most promise in their first season of National Rallying.
Each organizing committee may submit one team in nomination. Selection is
made by the Road Rally Board. To be eligible, at their first event of the
season, the nominated team must have participated in no more than four (4)
National Road Rallies in any combination.
  Winner: Tom from Virginia and his partner from North Carolina
  [I really had a hard time understanding the winners names, somebody
help!]

Robert V. Ridges Memorial Award: The award is presented to the SCCA member
who exemplifies the highest degree of dedication and sportsmanship in the
sport during the preceding year; who has made an outstanding contribution
to the success of an event during its execution; who has made an
outstanding contribution to the program as a whole; who has exhibited
exceptional sportsmanship involving personal sacrifice; or who has
undertaken physical risk for the preservation of life or property. The RRB
and the ProRally Board select the recipient based on recommendations of any
rally participant or Board member.
  Winner: Paula Gibeault for her efforts to save the life of fellow
rallyist Carl Merrill.

Next up, the Solo Awards:

Solo II Driver of the Year:
  Winner: Shawna Marinus

Solo II Rookie of the Year:
  Winner: Kelly Bowland

Solo I Event of the Year:
  Winner: Road Atlanta Solo I, Atlanta Region

Solo II Divisional of the Year:
  Winner: Kansas Region, Midwest Division

One final award ...

Richard James from Pfanner Publications (editors of SportsCar) presented a
new award. Named in honor of Vern Jacques [previously a frequent W2W
contributor], it is the Vern Jacques Contributor of the Year award. The
initial winner is Rocky Entriken (Salina Region) [another frequent W2W'er].

In the next installment ...
  Annual Awards Banquet

The final chapter will summarize Peter Hylton's fantastic two seminars on
the SCCA Archives. Thanks for your patience!

Kelley Huxtable
Des Moines Valley Region
"Worker Bee"