Re: Holy WOT, Batman! Stuck Miata throttle

To: cblome@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Holy WOT, Batman! Stuck Miata throttle
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:56:38 CST
Craig blome wrote:

> ---Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com> wrote:
> >
> > aftermarket pedals, or modifying the OEM pedals, isn't allowed in
> > Stock.
> > Allow this, and you'd have to allow SFCs and timing chain tensioners
> > in Stock!  <:^0  Back to plan A!
>
> I think you could pass it off as a comfort and convenience mod...I'd
> be a hell of a lot more comfortable knowing the throttle wasn't gonna
> stick!  :)

Of course, this would have to be one of the top ten most despicable weenie
protests of all time.  I'd protect myself from all kinds of grief if it were
me, and I'd make some just *slightly* disgruntled calls to Mazda and NHSTA.
Fact is, they need to be notified, or they'll never accumulate the evidence
needed to take action.

And just think, if the metal is sharp enough to go through carpet, it will
probably go through the plastic, too.  Thats just not cool.  Here's a better
idea: make a good-sized rope out of some of that clay-bar epoxy, and pack it
around the inside edge of the pedal to make the edge too wide to cut.  This
fix wouldn't come apart too easily, either.  Dang, I think I need to patent
this one...

Best of luck, and a hearty high-five for having the best of all possible
outcomes!  And here's a bonus, with your duct-tape patch, now you qualify
for TLS!  Darn it, I think I'm almost jealous!
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                           Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                                ITDS - TRIS