Re: Speed-bleeders stock legal?

To: Cliff Loh <vcmc001@ibm.net>, Net <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speed-bleeders stock legal?
From: "Robert M. Pickrell Jr." <brnrubr@midusa.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:45:24 -0800

Cliff Loh wrote:

> "Robert M. Pickrell Jr." <brnrubr@midusa.net>
>
> >Speed bleeders are not stock, I think we all agree with that definition.
> >So therefore they are not legal.
>
> Agreed, but neither are alternate shift knobs, steering wheels
> (pre-1990 vehicles).  I would guess that those items are more of a
> performance advantage than a speed bleeder.

True but these have been ruled on. I am not for against, just as you note
later
pointing out the technical illegality of them.

> >The SEB must rule on this.
>
> Yes, either a ruling or a clarification.  However, if they rule speed
> bleeders illegal, then they would also need to disallow the use of
> vacuum assisted brake bleeding tools such as the kind made by Mity-Vac
> since the two devices allow a single person to perform the same
> function.  Would they then also disallow the function of having a
> co-driver help you bleed brakes since that is an advantage over
> someone having to bleed brakes by himself?

This i would disagree with. It is not how many people it takes to bleed the
brakes,
but the addition of a non stock part.

> Here's something to think about.  A potentially parallel concept
> (getting very nit-picky too).  Is a speed bleeder to brakes similar to
> a tire valve to tires?  Both allow the competitor to adjust vehicle
> performance between runs/heats.  There's no rule saying tire pressures
> may/may not be adjusted between runs and IMHO, there shouldn't be
> one.  Same goes for bleeding brakes, regardless of method used.

Again I think you know this, but tire valves are stock.

Rob