RE: Image Awareness

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Image Awareness
From: "Dale Botkin" <dale@botkin.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:28:56 -0600
> So why do women have an entirely seperate league?  I don't understand the
> logic behind this.  Why the need to spererated the sexes??

OK, I really wanted to stay out of this onen, but I just can't resist.

On the surface, yeah, why have a separate womens' series when they can
already compete with the men?  Well, a couple of thoughts pop to mind.
First off, why not?  If someone wants to organize a series and market it,
LET THEM.  More racing is more racing.  So what if it's women only?  And who
said "separate" - this looks like a place for women to compete *also*, not
*instead*.

Also...  I think most of you would agree that attracting more women to
motorsports, especially as competitors, would be a Good Thing.  Yes, there
are women race drivers, but a very small percentage of the competing
population.  Figure X percent of all racers are REALLY good.  Now figure
that only similarly small percentage of all racers are women.  What you end
up with is a disproportionately small number of very successful women
drivers, and spread so thin as to be almost invisible without really looking
for them.  So - if we want to attract more women to the sport, why not make
the women who are here now, and successful, more **visible**?  Sounds like a
good place to start a women-only race series.

Just my own humble opinion.

Dale
Dale Botkin, MCP
'98 Mustang coupe, GS