RE: Tiny bubbles...o...o....o....o.....o...

To: "'Karl Witt'" <kwitt@shore.net>, "'Steve Hoult'" <stevehoult@home.com>,
Subject: RE: Tiny bubbles...o...o....o....o.....o...
From: <rsmith@bfmni.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:16:45 -0500
While were on the subject of brake fluid I wonder if the discussion can
continue and answer some, what I believe to be, interesting questions.

1) I assume the big difference with the Ford fluid between wet and dry is
that is has a higher propensity to absorb water (hygroscopic)! If that is
the case how much percentage of water can Ford fluid absorb. How about the
other brake fluids. AND as far as the silicone based fluids - are the wet
and dry the same since I've heard that they are not hygroscopic?

2) Water can enter the brake fluid from a few sources! A can left open. A
can with little fluid in it that was opened on a damp day and therefore has
humid air above the fluid in the can. Through the rubber portions of the
brake lines. When the cover is removed from the master cylinder to check the
level (mine is translucent but I still check visually by removing the top).
Assuming you used fresh from the can fluid, never took the cover off the
master cylinder to check level and had sound rubber lines, just how long
before the fluid would be saturated with moisture? (I have Teflon lined s/s
lines so I don't think I get any through the flexible bits.) I know this is
a very subjective thing - I'm just wondering!

3) Don't most racers who are competitive change or at least bleed their
brakes quite frequently? Wouldn't this regular flushing/bleeding preclude
using a more exotic fluid then the Ford spec stuff (that's what I use - if
it's good enough for Carroll Smith, etc.)

BTW - maybe some have not heard of the story behind the Ford spec fluid
(apparently it's not just available for trucks but cars as well). Apparently
Ford was having all kinds of warranty problems with brakes on their Lincoln
line of cars. Investigation revealed it was the median age of Lincoln
drivers (older) dragging their left foot on the brake pedal causing all
kinds of overheating problems (and no they weren't using left foot braking
to set up for the next turn!). Ford developed the fluid to counter this
Lincoln problem and many are quite satisfied using it in all kinds of racing
vehicles.

Many thanks for the excellent list of fluids and their properties. I've been
looking for this type of info for a while now!

Racer Robb - rambling on a Tuesday!