Re: Hoosier R or A compound?

To: Wes Shew <schumi@vcn.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Hoosier R or A compound?
From: Tom Reichel <hoosiert@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:52:55 -0800
Wes Shew wrote:

> I run a 944S2 in A stock, on a typical 60 second auto-x course, how much
> faster is the A3S03 versus the R3S03?

Can't honestly predict a specific amount of improvement.
There are too many variables.
Generally speaking the A3S03 will be capable of faster times.
Talk about opening a can of worms! :-)
YMMV
Matt Murray, want to take a stab at this one? :-)

> How much longer wear (%) does the R have over the A?

Again, too many variables.
Where's that can opener? :-)

> Can you use the A on the road race track for a 20 minute session?

I do generally not recommend using A3S03's as dual purpose tires.  But,
it has been done.

> Is there any inner construction difference between the 2 (other than tread
> compound)?

Construction is identical.

> Which is better for concrete/Topeka?

A3S03

> Will there be a R/A3S04 in 1999?

No, tire designations are still A3S03 and R3S03 for 1999.

Regards,

Tom Reichel
Mid-Atlantic Motorsport