Re: 99 Miata suspenion

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 99 Miata suspenion
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:15:24 -0800
At 03:12 PM 1/27/99 -0800, you wrote:
>BTW, bars for the M1 will fit the 99, there are two issues. First, the
>99 has the endlink brackets about 90 degrees from the M1, so you'll have
>to use Heim-jointed endlinks... (dunno if that is legal in stock,
>suspect that the answer is no) Second, the M2 has L shaped, instead of U
>shaped endlink brackets, which may or may not be more prone to failure
>than the M1... (I've heard of people shearing off the M1 brackets)

The '99 endlinks are 45 degrees from the '90-'97 endlinks. To get around
this I needed to use heim jointed end links. Since sway bars are free and
the links are part of the bar they too are free. WRT the '99 brakets being
weaker that is a concern of mine, especially since Racing Beat recommends
reenforcing them (illgeal in Stock BTW). So far after a season's racing
they look ok but I plan to keep a good eye on them.

>Konis, from what I've heard, will be available later this spring, but no
>definite date, yet, leaving us only the Mazdaspeed shocks, which I've
>heard are too soft, and no robust enough. I haven't used them,
>personally. People have said that they're better than the stock
>Bilsteins on the sport package, though. They run around $160 a piece,
>and are fully adjustable. Moss Motors carries them, as well as R speed.

The main advantage of the Mazdaspeed is in adjustability. As far as I can
tell they are no stiffer than the OEM Bilsteins. Koni keeps promising '99
shocks but so far I have not heard any definate target date for them. If
anyone knows anything definite please let me know.

BTW anyone considering the Mazdaspeed shocks should know the front perches
are 2mm too high (which is ok) and the rears are 2mm too low. I solved this
by adding a 3mm shim under the perches on the rear shocks. Make sure you
get it right, the perch heights on the '99s were examined at two events
(Denver and Nationals) this year.

- Alan Dahl
  ___   ____     Alan Dahl                    | home: adahl@eskimo.com
 /_ /   /  /     Federal Way, WA, USA         | work: alan.dahl@attws.com