Re: Question about Miata Rs...

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>, Michael King <mapco@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Question about Miata Rs...
From: mikelowe@pop.c-com.net
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:06:45 +0000
> From:          Michael King <mapco@worldnet.att.net>

> How can someone tell the difference between a regular used Miata and a
> used Miata R? What parts or equipment differentiate the two? Is leather
> an option on the R or is cloth the only "option"? Thanks in advance.

     There used to be a website that clearly showed all the
differences.  I do know that leather was never available in the R
package.
     Rs are basically base models with the go-fast parts and no pimpy
frills. :-)  No PW, PS, or power mirrors.  AC is optional.  No ABS
either.  The R package is the only way to get the torsen diff, manual
steering, and in some years (Rs are 94-97), all of the frame braces.
    Rs also have the spoiler, air dam, and rear skirt.  The air dam
is functional.  I don't notice help from the spoiler.  The rear skirt
may seem like a frill but it's needed.  I saw my Miata R without it
and the car looked goofy with the air dam on and no skirt.
     Don't get a base model just to have manual steering.  In some
years, the bases came with the 14 x 5.5" steel wheels while all other
Miatas had 14 x 6 alloys.  That is obviously bad.

Hope this helps.

Mike Lowe    mikelowe@phoenix.net    http://www.phoenix.net/~mikelowe
Texas A&M Sports Car Club    Houston Region SCCA    Miata Club of America
'96 Miata R   BS 93