Re: Volvo Turbos

To: <Mtnman3620@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Volvo Turbos
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:43:24 -0800
It's quite common now -- and desirable -- for turbo bearing housings to be
water-cooled (hot coolant on passenger cars).  Conventional wisdom is that
a water-cooled turbo will last twice as long as one without -- reduces oil
coking.  Of necessity, they're still plumbed for oil -- to lubricate the
bearings.

The idea behind water plumbing is to draw some heat out of the bearing area
-- for longer life -- and away from the compressor -- for denser inlet air
-- because the exhaust turbine housing is running as much as 1600 F.

There's a lot more water volume running through a bearing housing, and the
water is cooler, than the oil.

Richard Nichols
San Diego, CA  USA
rnichol1@san.rr.com