The Secret World of Cars

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: The Secret World of Cars
From: "Eric W. Clements" <ewc4@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:40:56 -0500
Eric and I (yes, that's right, Mari is using Eric's account again) just
watched a show on The Learning Channel on The Secret World of Cars.  They
spent a *lot* of time on Import Drag Racing & Import Car Shows.  At least
half of the time, we were looking at each other with these
spaced-out-what-on-earth looks.  Here are the highlights, for those of
you whose car lives are apparently less secret.  Only the top 7, I'm
afraid (I'm neither Letterman nor Randy Chase, so I couldn't come up with
a top 10).

7)  Nitrous, nitrous, nitrous.  One of the show's experts noted that
"Dollar for dollar, there's nothing you can do to your car to boost
horsepower more."  Wonder if he was including the cost of engine rebuilds
when one uses that little blue bottle too much.

6)  All engine parts chromed--in many shades of chrome.  Pink tinted
chrome, gold tinted chrome, green tinted chrome, blue tinted chrome.  I
even saw a *few* chrome chrome pieces.

5)  Scary tires with sidewalls that wiggled like jello.  (Yes, I know
they don't have to turn, so sidewall stiffness isn't a big deal, but I'd
be afraid to drive that to the grid!)

4)  A competition in which the goal appeared to be how high you could get
your car to bounce.  Yes, just like Tigger.

3)  The flying and twirling and spinning competition.  In this one, parts
of people's cars (and trucks) detached themselves from the frames, went
*way* up in the air, and spun around.  Yes, that's right, truck beds,
fenders, hoods, bumpers, all spinning around really, really fast up in
the air--and no accidents involved.  It reminded me of baton twirling
when I was a little girl, except it was all robotic (car-botic?) and
remote control--and of course on a much bigger scale.

2)  The RX7 that looked like nothing SS or ASP has ever seen.  I honestly
didn't recognize it.  And the Honda Civic that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds and
change.

1)  The lady who spent $10,000 to have her Honda Oddity lowered, equipped
with a turbo, air intake on the *bright* yellow hood, custom interior (I
can't describe it--let's just say GM red is looking better and better to
me) and 57 assorted gauges from driver side window to passenger side
window.  And before anyone asks or suggests, no I did *not* get any good
ideas for the Van O'Luv.

Mari Clements
'91 MR2 N/A
'91 GMC Safari (tow van, a/k/a the Van O'Luv--thanks Brian for those
decorating tips)
'81 Ford F250 (tow vehicle #2)
and 3 others (almost sold)