tow vehicle tires

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: tow vehicle tires
From: Mari Clements <mlc4@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:33:41 -0500
I know this question has come up before, but I have a different question to
ask about what kind of tires to put on a tow vehicle.

Our Safari drives like, well, a breadbox on wheels.  Squishy wheels.
Despite the new Bilstein's (thanks, Sam), it just feels TOO soft for me.

So, we're looking at a couple of options, and I wanted to know what people
think/have tried.

1)  Go with lower profile, speed rated tires.  This was actually an option
on some models, and would have the obvious advantage of stiffer sidewalls.
OTOH, it could, I *think* (but I am not sure) mess up the ride height (and
more importantly hitch height).

2)  Go with light duty truck tires.  (It came with passenger tires.)  Here
I am completely clueless.  I am assuming they are heavier duty, and so
stiffer, than passenger tires, but I don't have any idea what that will do
to the ride, particularly in terms of height and noise.

Can anyone please enlighten me on this?

mlc

P.S.  For Eric Linnhoff only:
I've noticed that your listening preferences are really limiting your
signature files, so I'm offering these suggestions to broaden your horizons:

I'll catch you later
Got a lead foot down
On my accelerator
And the rearview mirror torn off
'Cause I ain't never looking back
And that's a fact
--"Bye Bye" Jo Dee Messina

And (in honor of those of us in CStock):
I don't know why I have to drive so fast
My car has nothing to prove
It's not new
--"I'm in a Hurry" Alabama
Mari L. Clements
Department of Psychology
Penn State University
442 Moore and 160 University Support Building 1
University Park, PA 16802-1012
(814)863-5664; fax (814)863-7002
http://www.personal.psu.edu/mlc4