MGF/Elise

To: pethier@isd.net, keithw@sand.net
Subject: MGF/Elise
From: JD_Kemp@notes.ymp.gov
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:22:44 -0800
Phil & Keith:

I believe Phil is correct in that the Elise uses the "K Series" Rover
4-Banger, as does the MGF.  The MG has that engine in two states of tune
("Bad" and "Worse"... Nooo, just kidding) one with Rover's version of VVT,
and one without.  I would hope that the export version (if ever) would
bring the higher powered version across the pond.  I read somewhere that
Rover/BMW was attempting to get the K motor US certified, so there's hope.
I dunno about the Lotus engine, but I hope they have outgrown their
tendency to "underpower" their cars.  (Hey, they FINALLY put the V8 in the
Esprit!)

Anudder ting (Speaking Minnesotan for Phil's benefit!) about the MGF that
concerns me is the suspension system.  I understand that it uses more of
those %#@*% nitrogen bladders as dampers, a la the late 80's XJ Jaguars.
That would concern me as far as suspension tuning, etc.  (I know waaaaay
more about those *$%*ing pig bladder thingies than I EVER wanted to!)  Now,
as an SP car, with some serious suspension mods (Things that say "Spax" or
"Koni" on 'em!)...  Or as an EM/DM car, with a Rover V8...  Looks like a
whole lotta fun to me!

The Lotus, on the other hand, is supposed to be built in the "spirit of
Colin Chapman engineering."  Which means it will have roll centers about 12
feet BELOW the ground, stick like velcro, but be constructed out of
gossamer and moonbeams.

Either way, I'd love to find one under my Christmas tree.

JD Kemp &
"Lucretia MacEvil" #13 MGB &
"Yet Unnamed" XKE