Re: Downforce

To: Autox List <Autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Downforce
From: Cliff Loh <vcmc001@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 11:29:33 -0800
 ttarleto@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>>  A clark Y wing @ 32sq ft = 174 lb at -10 deg of attack and 256 lb
at15 deg
>>  THIS IS WITHOUT ANY FLAPS OR GURNEY LIPS.
>>  a 23012 wing with a slotted flap run at 40 deg of attack has a Cl of
2.7
>>  or 553 lb of force.
>>
>> This is a lot of extra grip on a 1200lb modified car.
>> This is all at 50mph.

Of course that calculation, although correct, only considers a single
element airfoil.  The Phantom has three elements on each wing, all set
to different attack angles.

Also recalculate for a max. of 20 sq.ft. and it'll still translate to
even more grip on a sub-800lb. modified car.

"Brent DeWitt" wrote:

>Second, the downforce increases the contact patch area of a wide
compliant tire, making
>ultimate shear stress higher.

A portion of this down force is taken up by suspension compliance so the
contact patch isn't increased all that much.  A well tuned autocross
suspension isn't all that stiff.   I've seen small cars with tiny
contact patches out-corner big cars with fat tires.  Cornering ability
is still a product of good suspension engineering more so than
downforce.

-c.