Panasport Wheel Backside Spacing

To: CM<autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Panasport Wheel Backside Spacing
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:57:37 -0400
Hi All,

I'm trying to find out what the normal backside spacing is for the commonly
used Panasport Wheels for Formula Fords.

Backside spacing, in case you don't know, is the distance between the
surface of the wheel that contacts the hub and the exteme inside  edge of
the wheel. The easiest way to visualize it is to assume the wheel (without
tire) is placed on the floor with the inside bead flange flat on the floor.
Backside spacing is the distance from the floor to the floor side of the
mounting surface where the wheel contacts the hub when installed on the car.

Alternately, if you happen to know the specified offset of the wheels and
whether the hub mounting surface is closer to the outside (positive offset)
or the inside (negative offset), I can estimate the backside spacing.
Offset is the distance between the wheel centerline and the mounting surface.

I'm trying to figure out (without an example tire) if the Hoosier C2000
rear tires will rub the uprights on my car with my wheels and spacers. I
know they do on 85/86 Van Diemens with Panasports. I'm hoping that my
Compomotive rear wheels have much less backside spacing than the
Panasports. Apparently the C2000's are wider near the bead diameter than
the previous Hoosier rears or the Goodyear rears.

FYI my rear Compomotives have 2.75 inch backside spacing minus a .25 inch
spacer for an effective backside spacing of 2.5 inches. The old Hoosiers
clear with these wheels/spacers.

Thanks,

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85