Ignition Re-visited

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition Re-visited
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:32:22 -0600
O.K., there is a split so far on electronic ignitions, some like theirs and
some feel it so simple to maintain the points system that it isn't really
worth the cost.  Battery draw is also a common concern.

My take is that a rev limiter is a definate.  The rotor limiters seem a
little dicey to me.  A rev limiter out of a popular catalog is around $160.
(!) For another $30, I can get an MSD 6AL that includes a soft touch
limiter.   There's a couple others out there in that price range that have
dial adjustable limiters, reducing the need for "pills".  Given this, and in
the abscense of someone pointing out an electronic rev limiter for a
reasonable price, I feel like going with the EI system. (That's your
cue...someone quick point out a cheaper rev limiter!)

One question for those who have systems:  What are the options for
triggering the ignition?  Crane makes a conversion optical trigger.  Are
there any others??

Now, addressing the battery draw. My CM alternator project is a go.  I will
be installing a very small Mini single wire racing alternator.  (I will try
to compensate for the 8 lbs on the tread mill.) :) I will fabricate a WOT
circuit defeat switch.  There will be a tiny parasitic loss at WOT due to
internal friction and stuff, but I feel it will not be a measurable
dis-advantage.  (O.K. ...now every one of you will make me eat those words!)
 To be honest, with a 2 driver setup late in the season last year, I could
not fully concentrate on driving because I was dinking around with stuff on
the car too much, battery maintainance being a part of it.  The more I
simplify, the more I can focus.  (The more I talk, the more competitive I'm
getting by installing this!)  :)  Additionally, the Swift seems to be a
handfull to keep cool on the grid. I am investigating either an on-board
fan, or an external fan powered by the car.  Need electricity.  More later.

Thanks for the help everyone!!  (Can you tell Spring is coming?!?)

Pat

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer