Re: inboard vs. outboard suspension in CM

To: <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: inboard vs. outboard suspension in CM
From: <garryj@localnet.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:45:09 -0500 (EST)
This is my second response on this topic because I forgot to edit the damn
trailer *#*@_$*!
OK, if I can remember right, here's what I said, in my very humble opinion:

The newer cars are better not because inboard is better than outboard for
autocrossing but because GENERALLY the inboard suspensions were designed
later and thus have more knowledge behind them.  Check for motion ratios
(the amount the shock/spring moves in relation to wheel movement).  Bad
motion ratios usually mean the shock isn't going to be as effective unless
you do ALOT of damper work and have good ones to begin with.
Also, the chassis for older cars were designed qualitatively, i.e., the
designers placed the tubes where they felt they would make for a stiff
chassis.  Most newer cars had their chassis designed with the aid of
computer software, enabling the chassis to be designed quantitativly and
thus stiffer.
As for fit, maybe there is some modification that can be done without
hurting the rigidity of the chassis.  Some research will be required.
As for motors, in Solo II the handling is much more important than the
motor.  If you're motor is soft, you will certainly be giving up some
time.  But if you ever want to be competitive at big events, the handling
must be good.  If you get a good chassis/soft engine combo, maybe in the
time it will take to sort the handling out you'll have been able to save
some monty toward a rebuild.
Maybe you could do some leakdown tests on the used motors and if it is
good, that's great news.  If it is bad, then use it for a bargaining
point.
Generally speaking, an older outboard car fits into Club Ford and is
usually more expensive than a newer inboard car that is outdated for doing
well in the Formula Ford class.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Jim Garry