Re: Rantoul Story???

To: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Rantoul Story???
From: Charlie Mathews <cmathews@theramp.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:51:32 -0500
The event went well and the weather was great (mid 80's with a 10 mph wind).
The
most interesting things at the event (unplanned) was a drop-in on course by a
parachutist and a run around the course by a local fire truck (after the event).

Seems that a parachutist was about to land on course and decided at the last
minute to turn with the wind instead of going into the wind which resulted in
him

landing hard on the concrete.  He got busted up pretty good but no life
threatening injuries.  This resulted in police, ambulance and the usual crowd of
helpers.  The jumpers friends noticed their buddy was missing and showed up
about
20 minutes after he landed.  Due to the wind he would have been in Indiana if we
had not been there.

Sunday following the event the (airport I think) fire truck decided to try our
course (no pylons left).  It appears that it was a multi driver vehicle as they
made several runs with different driving styles.  They must have had fun because
following their runs they shot off their on-board remote controlled water hose
and sprayed a victory fountain.

The racing was great, most everyone had fun, Pete kicked our butts.  They
unfortunately separated the 2 driver cars from our class, so I did not get to
talk much during the heat with the other drivers, and I spent most of my time
getting the car and my son ready for their runs.  Chuck M did well, but I think

pushed him a little too much Sunday and he coned every run.  On course observers
told me later that he was going into every corner too hot and then over cranked
the wheel to compensate.  He'll get better.  The competition was very close as 2
seconds covered the field on Saturday.  This class has gotten a lot faster since
I last drove a big event.  I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do when I
return full time.

The only tire story that I know of, was that everyone was on Goodyears except
for
me and Chuck M.

The only driver story I can tell other than what I stated earlier about Chuck M
and the fact that Pete drove great was that I never hit a pylon or spun.  I was
not going fast enough.

Others should be able to fill you in with more details.

Charlie Mathews

Dick Rasmussen wrote:

> Tell us about Rantoul? Must be some "driving" and "tire" stories for those
> of us "stuck way off in NC".
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dick Rasmussen
> CM 85