Re: One less CM competitor

To: Kurt Eikenberg <dogpatch@nfdc.net>
Subject: Re: One less CM competitor
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:21:26 -0400
As it turned out, there were five fewer CM competitors than were
originally listed.  Not only did Kurt's tow vehicle break at the
last minute, but Don Elzinga and Ray Thomas were actually registered
for Peru, and Jim Garry and Mike McMullen had some engine trouble on the
Citation (tell us more!).

So the six of us in three cars hoped that would be the end of the CM
curse at Ayer (where last year, only 50% of the cars actually made it
to the end).

After Saturday, everyone was still there.  I was leading by 0.225 over
Bob, with Paul and Greg fighting for third 0.008 apart but over a
second back from Bob.  Mark Chessick was another half a second back,
followed by his co-driver Bill Cullen.

But no, Greg Vincent's motorhome (with the trailer attached, and the
Van Diemen in the trailer) refused to start at the campground on Sunday
morning.  Fortunately, they managed to jury-rig some replacements for
the exhaust-fried wiring and got to the site in time to run 2nd heat,
but not in time to walk the course.

And of course, Tropical Depression Allison hit with considerable force
just as our runs were starting.  The first drivers all got a pretty
dry run, with just some sprinkles, but it was fairly wet for the
second driver's first runs, and it only got wetter from there -- until
before Bob and I got our third runs, the event was called due to lack
of visibility, wind-driven torrential rain, and threats of lightning
strikes (which had been encircling us for an hour or so by that point).

It had been clear that we'd have to do well, but be clean, on our first
runs.  Bob wasn't -- he was fast but coned.  Paul was slower, but
clean -- but it wouldn't be enough to beat out Bob overall.  Mark
Chessick was slower still, but also clean, and it would be enough in
the end to move him up a spot.  The second drivers fared worse -- I
spun early in the course, surprised by the lack of grip.  Greg was
clean, but painfully slow, and Bill DNF'ed.

Second runs and on really didn't matter.  The event did get started
again 40 minutes after being stopped, but I decided for Bob and I that
our third runs were pointless, and I didn't want to delay the event
further (we had to work 5th heat, after all.)

So Bob won, Paul was second, and I was a miraculous third, narrowly
edging out Mark Chessick by 0.076.  Unfortunately, there weren't
enough cars there in the end for us to win any tires...  I wanted some
of those new molded Hoosier rains!

Mark

///
///  autox-cm@autox.team.net mailing list