Re: [Alpines] [Tigers] Speaking of Panhard Bars...

To: Will Seay <wseay@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Alpines] [Tigers] Speaking of Panhard Bars...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 08:22:14 -0700
Hmmm, yes, that may or may not have been the impetus for the bar.
However, the function of a panhard bar is to locate the rear end  in the
center of the car's frame. The end points of the bar should be mounted
such that they are parallel with the axle tubes. Done this way there is
very little displacement of the rear end when it moves up and down with
the suspension. Hopwever, whether MKI or MKII the Tiger bar is mounted
so badly that it tries to cause a large displacement of the rear end.
The springs prevent any large movement however and this causes the end
attached to the frame to cause flexing and eventual failure of the frame
bracket.   Was this one of the mods originally built into one of the
prototypes? Who thought that this device was even needed...same guy who
installed the "bent" R&P steering tie rods?  Did car number 1 have a
panhard bar?

Interesting stuff trying to get into the heads of those in charge of
such decisions..

l8r

mayf