[Alpines] Messed up Series V tach

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Alpines] Messed up Series V tach
From: <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:53:42 -0800
(Sorry to bomb the Tiger list with this, but I figured that since Tigers have
roughly the same tach setup as Alpines, I'd bounce this off of you guys, too...)

I'm wiring up a Series V tach in my race car (Alpine) that I got from a friend
of mine. The tach looks to be in excellent condition but my friend had said
that he had never had it in his car and that it was just a spare. Therefore, he
didn't know if it worked or not.

Well, I've got it wired up just like the book says, complete with a good
ground, and all I get out of it is very erratic, jumpy movement and a general
tendency to lag behind the motor when I rev it up. Once it's revved up, it
reads way too high (when it's not bouncing all over the place). I searched the
SAOCA forum and found a tach thread from January that appeared to be about the
same situation as I'm having. Just as that fellow did, I cleaned the metal
bracket that goes around the loop and made sure it was getting good contact
with the contacts in the tach. Unfortunately, my problem still persists. The
only difference between this other fellow and me is that I don't have the
luxury of knowing if this tach worked prior to me installing it.

Any thoughts on this? Should I just send it off to Nysonger or some other
instrument place to be rebuilt? Is there something else I should look at? Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK